Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Strength In Pain

It is hard to believe the hype, excitement, anticipation of running my first marathon is now behind me. I remember last week at this time besides panicking of turning another year older; I was thinking constantly about the marathon.


Now, here I am 3 days after. I thought on Sunday that I would never consider another marathon. I kept telling everyone I am for sure a 1/2er. I feel different waking up today.


Yesterday, I was talking with one of my dear friends, Angela. She told me that I inspired her to do one. That she was going to start training in January. I am shocked. Not because I don't think she can do one but more so that she told me how I inspired her and how proud she was of me and my dedication to training and completing it.


She is isn't the only one. I cannot believe the power it gave me and how it transcends to others.


I have to admit when I first started training, I truly believed in myself. I never doubted that I could not do it. I think that is what kept me going and what ended up pulling me through the marathon.


It was the toughest thing I have ever done physically and I have a child! I did have a C section and recovery for that is painful. Granted it takes longer to get up and move around after but PHYSICALLY & MENTALLY this was tougher on me.


I remember right before my itouch (may it rest in peace) went out one of the songs that came on was from Mumford and Sons. Part of the lyrics to the song was "find strength in pain." That ended up being my mantra for the remainder of the marathon and I was only at mile 14.


I am grateful for the experience and even more gratuitous for the support and cheers that I received during and AFTER! I still have friends sending me sweet congrats messages.


When someone asked me several months ago why I ran, my answer was, "because I can" That answer remains. I will continue running because I CAN and more so because I WANT TO!


Now off to find my next race......oh and put my 26.2 sticker on my car!

2 comments: